Ubuntu Netbook Remix on HTC Shift

kornel has requested to post some instructions on installing ubuntu netbook remix on HTC Shift.

First, for those who still don’t know what UNR is, a picture is worth 1000 words:

ume-launcher on HTC Shift 1 ume-launcher on HTC Shift 2

Here are the instructions:

1) Go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources. Click on Third Party software. Click Add…, and add the following:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/netbook-remix-team/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/netbook-remix-team/ubuntu hardy main

Then Click Close and Click Reload.

Advanced users can just add the above lines to their /etc/apt/sources.list (and run sudo apt-get update afterwards).

2) Install all netbook remix packages:

$ sudo apt-get install go-home-applet window-picker-applet maximus human-netbook-theme ume-launcher

3) Once installed, you’ll need to add maximus to autostart for your session. You’ll also need to setup the gnome-panel to look like the screenshots, basically:

• Delete bottom panel
  • Setup top panel like: GoHomeApplet|WindowPickerApplet|NotificationArea|MixerApplet|Clock

UPDATE: This has been fixed in current ume-launcher version.

You’ll notice that the icons are very small by default, this is because UNR doesn’t support resolutions below 1024×600. I have done a patch to ume-launcher which increases the icon size, available in launchpad bug #237373.

So, if you prefer bigger icons, just download my patched ume-launcher_0.3ubuntu3_i386.deb, and install it.

This entry was posted in linux. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Ubuntu Netbook Remix on HTC Shift

1. kornel says:

thanks! I have it up and running except for some issues:
    – my launcher is still off center for some reason, unlike your screenshots.
    – most annoying issue is that I get a white background whenever i start apps and am using them, as in launcher dissapears and im left with only white bg. Is this because of the software or am i doing something wrong?

2. kornel says:

and the apps go into foreground by default…

3. pof says:

make sure maximus is installed, and enabled at session autostart. If all fails, try removing all the packages and start the install process again.

4. Snorry says:

I’m having the same issues. Trying to unistall the whole package. 😉

5. Tunji says:

What’s the battery life like; is it better than with Windows Vista?

6. avdzm says:

thanks,
    I have been looking for this tutorial.
    Although I am getting the same white backgrounds.

When you guys reinstalled the packages did that stop the white background?

thanks once again.

7. avdzm says:

Hey all,

I think the problem with the white background is with maximus.

When i open a program and the white background appears, i un-maximize the window n the white background disappears.

any ideas?

8. avdzm says:

Hey guys,

To stop the white backgrounds and the ume to popping up,
    you have to disable the compiz visual effects.

I found this link

and now it works perfect for me.

9. avdzm says:

Hey guys,

To stop the white backgrounds and the ume to popping up,
    you have to disable the compiz visual effects.

and now it works perfect for me.

10. avdzm says:

has anyone tried moblin 2?

11. avdzm says:

has anyone tried ubuntu 9.10?

12. Stavros says:

3 years…… does anybody still using there htc x9500 shift,well i still play with this machine.Plus i still love it!!!