Ubuntu 12.04 on ONKYO BX407A4

Two years ago I wrote about installing Ubuntu 10.04 on ONKYO BX407A4, now I have upgraded it to 12.04 LTS, and here’s a reviewed procedure in case anyone still uses this UMPC.

Basically everything works so well out of the box, except for a few things that need a little bit of tweaking:

Replace /etc/rc.local with the following: rc.local

Replace /etc/default/grub with the following: grub, when done run ‘sudo update-grub‘.

Add the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-onkyo.conf: blacklist-onkyo.conf

Add the file /etc/pm/power.d/99_onkyo and make it executable: 99_onkyo

Add the file /etc/pm/sleep.d/74_onkyo and make it executable: 74_onkyo

Add the file /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_onkyo and make it executable: 00_onkyo

Add the file /etc/pm/config.d/onkyo_fix: onkyo_fix

Install vbetool:

sudo apt-get install vbetool

Install the latest version of opengalax Touch Screen Driver:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:poliva/opengalax
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install opengalax xinput-calibrator

When done, edit the file /etc/opengalax.conf and set psmouse=1, this together with the changes in grub will make the touchscreen and the optical mouse work.

Reboot, and run xinput_calibrator to calibrate the screen, save the calibration data in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf.

Some other useful hints:

Rember to add the ‘discard’ parameter to /etc/fstab for SSD trim.

For Ubuntu/Unity:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:poliva/pof
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install indicator-sysbat
$ echo \"coretemp\" |sudo tee -a /etc/modules

For Lubuntu/LXDE:
Install lxbat instead.

With all these changes everything works as expected, even suspend/resume :)

This entry was posted in gadgets, linux, minipost and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Ubuntu 12.04 on ONKYO BX407A4

1. chris says:

Wow, thank you so much for this tutorial! i bought the umid BZ two years ago and basically i had given up trying to install linux on it. i was periodically browsing if any new development was happening and i basically thought the device is dead.

thanks so much for this comprehensive instructions!

2. seb says:

Many thanks to you! My Spiga is not dead now!

3. Teodoro says:

I’ve unusefully tried to follow you guide in order to install lubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 on a Sagem Spiga. First of all to be sure of the matching of the hardware I downloaded and flashed last bios disposable on the Onkyo site. Under Windows XP everything works perfectly with the drivers provided and the device is recognized as a Onkyo BX407A4. Then I’ve tried linux and considered the hardware platform I would prefear Lubuntu but I also tested unsuccessfully Ubuntu, Bodhi and Joly OS. In none of my attempts the wifi module was correctly recognized and working. To obtain a network access I was forced to use a wiki key on USB port. How did you manage to obtain wifi working under 12.04 (i guess 12.10 should work the same way)? Was it working out of the box for you or needed any adjustments (I anticipate that I made all the steps described in your guide)?

• pof says:

Hi, I did not do anything special to get the wifi working, it just works out of the box in ubuntu/lubuntu 12.04 if you blacklist the module and modprobe it as shown on the files I posted. Maybe you have it disabled in bios settings?

• Teodoro says:

in bios I find under the label “boot” the voice to wake up/turn off the usb devices (included wifi module). Also if i choose “on” option the wifi is not recognized (nor during the installation process nor after the tweaking you suggested”. Bluetooth instead seems to be working out of the box. If I try “iwconfig”can’t find the lan device and no connection is recognized. Instead if I use an external usb wifi key it works as espected.

• Teodoro says:

under XP, with the proper drivers installed, the device is instead recognized (working without troubles) as a “Marvell sd8686 wireless lan sdio adapter”. This is just to verify if hardware of our devices matches at all.

4. Teodoro says:

finally succeded. The bios behaviour is quite crazy. You have to play a bit between wifi on/off and reload default settings before wifi is recognized. Now everything seems to work. Tank you so much.

5. T. Koyama says:

Thank you Pof. I will install lubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 to mu Onkyo BX and MbookSE respectively.
    Can you figure out how to make and make install “key2mouse” in ubuntu families?
    This is an old utility to emulate mouse with keyboard, which was very useful when I was using a SHARP Zaurus with X environment.
    Thank you.

6. Wolle says:

Thank you so mutch for sharing your knowlege. I just recently recived my umid se from korea and was trying to get the optical mouse work. You saved me hours of testing.

By the way you use service lightdm restart to fix display settings. If you just add “console=tty1″ to grub default kernel boot options it works without restarting the service.

Greetings
    Wolle

7. LTosar says:

I have to say THANK YOU many many times you saved me a lot of hours of work, I just got my Spiga Sagemcom from Turkey, I don’t use Windows so I did a disk image of the system and then I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 and Also the ALT image but I got kernel panic message on both, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04 and 12.10 installs and run fine, So I did follow your steps using 12.10 and everything is working except for the built in WiFi ( iwconfig doesn’t show anything, Now if i press the button next to the Wifi/3G then when i type iwconfig it shows the 3G modem i think is (hso0) but no wlanX, This is not a big deal because I have a Trendnet a648 usb Wifi adapter that works great, Also I reloaded my bios to default settings and nothing shows a Wifi adapter in there unless there is a hidden menu in the bios that I don’t know, My question: Is the built in Wifi adapter always on or do I have to turn it on with some key combinations. Also if is possible to change the screen resolution to 800×600 will be great, I can not do it using the menu and I looked under /etc/X11 and I have no xorg.conf file like in Slackware, Thanks a lot for you help. I own a Nokia communicator 9500 but is very old, I search all over the internet for days to find something similar to the Nokia9500 that will let me connect to a Unix server using an ssh client on a 3G connection and maybe recompile a kernel, That was possible with the Nokia9500 and now these little PC’s are great and modern of course nothing compares to the Nokia9500 keyboard but I still can use vi with theses mini PC’s keyboard, I think a lot of people are still using them out there.

• Thierry says:

I just discover this page as I just get a Sagem Spiga.
      I had to search how to switch on the Wifi : it’s the same button that switch the 3G except you press the Fn key at the same time.

Hope it can be useful

8. LT says:

Also my Spiga Sagem is now alive, Thank you very much for all your time, Just need some help how to get the built in camera to work, I have the uvcvideo modules loaded but i don’t see /dev/videoX I tried the FN+B to turn on the camera but still no /dev/videoX, cheese or guvcview won’t detect any device, Is there any other way to turn on the built in camera.
    An external usb Logitec works perfect with cheese or guvcview and of course I get /dev/video0 (OK)
    Thanks for any input.

9. smoky says:

Hi,

thanks a lot for these instructions! The mouse works now for me which is really great. However, the machine never properly wakes up from suspend hibernate and wifi doesn’t work (the hardware is not detected). the BIOS also doesn’t have any option to switch the wifi on. is there maybe a BIOS update that I am missing?

10. Teodoro says:

I’m glad to find that your driver (swapping axes in conf file) works perfectly also with a Archos 9. With this device, furtermore, it is very usefull (almost indispensable) due to the low precision of touch screen.

11. Pingback: a24::場内進行中 » ONKYO BX407A4にUbuntu12.04を